Sunday, August 31, 2008

First Art I've Seen Since Moving To Chicago

I went to this grad student reception thing at school (SAIC) the other night - it was in their (I mean OUR) new huge exhibition space  (where I will be having my MFA show, some day).  They opened the space with two shows - "Ahh....Decadence!" and "Department(Store)".

To be honest, I didn't get the best look at the whole Decadence show - there was free food, the place was huge, and I had to catch a commuter train.  But I'm going back later.  The show explored themes of ...decadence..in many forms, tying together the sorts of mania that comes along with doing anything over-the-top.  So there were lots of crazy colors, fast videos, sex, pink, orange, shiny things, spastic things, and pink.   It seems especially relevant, given the status of ..things..and the easy distraction of the public by shiny, fast things, what with this election and all.  Maybe that's a stretch.  But it's important to understand our relationship to the gaudy, staged, "decadent" forces in our lives.  

Ok, and now the Store. Exciting! A huge warehouse - size exhibition space filled with rows of empty display cases like the kind used in retail.  They are also shiny and attention-grabbing, but in a more apocalyptic way.  The "store" apparently refers, in part, to the building's historic use in retail.   The plan is to allow people- students, whoever - to submit proposals for displaying things in these cases.  This allows people to interpret the situation of a room full of retail cases as they wish; I'm assuming it will go along the lines of obsession, artificiality, economic issues, and exhibitionism.  

No comments: